Friday, January 11, 2013

Chase's Top 5

To finish off our series on our struggles beginning a blog, here are my top 5 reasons for not starting a blog:

5) Finding the Perfect Words
So I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I'm also more of a numbers guy than a words guy. So if I ever have something significant to say, I tend to keep it to myself because I have trouble figuring out exactly what I want to say and how I want to say it. It takes me a long time to really piece it together.

4) Not Enough Motivation
Assuming I have something possibly worth sharing, it takes me a while to compose the exact words I want to use. No one is forcing me to share my thoughts. I've lived perfectly fine for 28 years without sharing those thoughts. So why start now? Why take the time to form those words, to piece together those thoughts and share them? Usually I would just save them up and share them verbally with Denise. But, perhaps my words can motivate someone else...drive someone to action.

3) Difficult To Adjust Routine
So between the difficulty in composition and the lack of motivation, why physically take the time to do all of that work? Could my time be better used somewhere else? I'm probably not alone in this, but I tend to work best with routine. If I can work a certain goal or task into my daily/weekly routine, I'm much more likely to actually do it.  So the question, I guess, is: do I want to take the time to figure out how to work this into my routine?

2) People Won't Be Interested
Let's assume I find those perfect words, I've figured out a topic I'm passionate about and I've found the time to write about it. That's only worthwhile if someone is actually going to read it. But what if someone reads it and has no interest in the topic whatsoever? Then I've lost my one and only reader and we're back to square one. Fortunately, my interests are a pretty mixed bag so I have the potential of attracting a wide range of readers. Unfortunately, my topics can also be somewhat obscure. But perhaps that could be a good thing after all. Who wants to read about the same topics over and over again from everybody?

1) People Won't Understand or I'll Offend Someone
Hopefully the topics I touch on with this blog will be rather neutral. I might create another wing for any topics that might have more potential of being offensive or divisive (e.g. politics, doctrinal issues, etc.). We'll see about that. But even with topics that seem neutral, there always seems to be some landmines waiting to triggered. Maybe I'll word something improperly, and you'll read it wrong. I don't fear offending strangers who may read the blog; someone is always offended about something. I am concerned about driving away a friend unintentionally or unknowingly.

With Denise and I working together on this blog, hopefully these excuses will be overcome. If we tag team, it won't be so overwhelming and we'll be able to motivate one another. She'll also do a good job of filtering my posts so that they remain pertinent and reader-friendly.

2 comments:

  1. Well I have to say I am super excited about the DeChases joining the blogging world again! Can't wait to blogstalk you guys! Sending love:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia, thanks for calling us DeChase! We welcome the most dedicated stalking ;) Love ya back!

      Delete