Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Good Hair Day

I like to style my hair. A lot. I've had my hair at about this length since about my junior year in high school. Needless to say, I get bored with it being the same style every day. People are always asking me how I do it...ready for my secret?

YouTube videos. If my husband can figure out how to program his computer or do some complex car maintenance by watching YouTube, then a hairstyle should be a breeze.

Sometimes I find these videos linked on Pinterest, and I immediately slap them on my board, "Hairography." Which is a title I stole from Glee...I've only seen about three episodes, but that was one of them. Interestingly enough, the term refers to using one's hair to distract from anything else that might be going wrong in a performance. I think I do just that...look at my hair, and maybe you won't notice that I'm not wearing any makeup...ever. 

Here's the style I rocked on Friday night for our Valentine's date.


 I've done this bun a few times. Normally, I do it a bit higher like I first saw it on Kim Kardashian.


Last week, I saw Kelly Ripa wear a bun on her show similar to this photo, and decided to try it out.


Minus the middle part, of course...that would look so weird on me.

Picking up this particular hairstyle was easy thanks to this video.


The bun is the second style she does.  While she is not the most professional of tutors, I learned a lot from this video.  You have no idea how sad I was when my hair wasn't long enough to braid across my head, btw. She does know some things you MUST HAVE in your hairstyling arsenal, namely dry shampoo and no-slip-grip bobby pins (that are close to your hair color if possible).

A special tip about pinning a bun (any sort of bun): don't pry apart the pin before you stick it into the bun. It seems like it won't hold, but trust me, it will.

Happy Hairography, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Sooo cute! I am dying for my hair to grow out, so I can do fun styles!

    ReplyDelete