Wednesday, August 6, 2014

36 Week Letter to Evelyn

I wrote this on Monday morning, more for me than anything. If I wait much longer to post, it won't be relevant so I'll save pictures for another day...

Sweet Evelyn,

I'm 36 weeks along which means just 4 more weeks until I meet you... Maybe sooner! Your daddy and I can't wait!

I woke up at 5 today because my ribs hurt. Why? Well, we saw you on a sonogram last week and you already weigh six pounds. Being horizontal for more than 6 hours has become basically impossible. I told Daddy that you're probably the only one who truly understands my discomfort since you're all squished in there. I also can't go back to sleep because you have the hiccups. You get them about three times a day. Since the day I started to feel you moving, you've rarely stopped. I guess your hiccups woke you this morning because it feels like you're having a party in there now! I have a feeling I'm going to frequently see 5:30 AM in the coming months...

Seeing your chubby cheeks last week makes the waiting practically unbearable! My doctor says you're developing perfectly! We could see your hair floating and waving in the sonogram. You're facing perfectly toward my back which means that we couldn't see your face much, but we did get to see you open and close your eyes a few times. You are just beautiful, my sweet girl!

I've been so busy preparing for you. Yesterday I washed your carrier and all the parts. Daddy is so anxious for me to "pack a bag." I think it's one of the things he knows we have to do, and he wants to help. We finished your nursery last week and started ordering all the other things we'll need for your arrival. There are so many special little gifts in that nursery from all the people who love you! It's so neat to have shelves and paintings and a collage crafted just by people who can't wait to meet you! It's filled with words and pictures to teach you about the greatest love you'll ever know!

I think about you constantly. Will you look like me? Will you talk a lot like I do? Will you have your daddy's eyelashes? His eyebrows? Don't worry, I'll teach you how to tweeze and tie your shoes before kindergarten if you do. Most of all, I wonder if I will be a good mommy to you. Will I give enough grace? Will I have enough patience? Will I teach you to trust and depend on God instead of yourself? I can't do it with my own strength. I hope I can be a prayer warrior like your Nana and a servant like your Daddy and Grandma. I realize more everyday how big this parenting job is. It humbles me and drives me back to the best Parent I've ever known. He's a Good Father who gives good gifts to His children. He's given me you...a precious little one to be cherished and nurtured. I pray for grace to do it well. He promises that His grace is sufficient for me because His power is made perfect in my weakness. What a relief to know that I don't have to be perfect...or even close. What a peace is mine to lean on the everlasting arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment